Thursday, November 11, 2010

Getting there


Kitchen. Not so sure about the paint color "forsythia blossom".

I'm going to paint the tub soon!

We'll paint/reorganize the office this winter.

Active leaky ceiling in the music room.

Oh dear, the scarecrow!

Made from reclaimed burlap bags from the local coffee roaster, and stuffed with straw by the student gardeners. 

Well, we didn't win the grand prize, but we got free tickets to the Potter Park Zoo for entering!!
 Next spring, the deer will find it's home in the Wexford School Garden. 

End of Harvest

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

House renovations part 2

After picking out so many paint cards and considerable deliberation, we painted the living room light green. 
We are so proud of our duct and plumbing work! 

The new half wall between the kitchen and dining room.

Robert is so excited about drywall work!

After much sanding work we pickled (mixed white paint with water) the kitchen floor. We finished it up with 4 coats of polyurethane.  

This is the bathroom floor sanded and stained light blue.  We slapped 4 coats of polyurethane on that baby. 

Robert wanted pink for our bedroom. We agreed on purple. 

Start of the house renovations

This is the house we bought in February 2010 (pictured here in April or May). We did the majority of the repairs ourselves in the middle of Michigan winter, without any heaters or bathroom.
We thought taking out this wall would be a cinch. Taking it down wasn't all that bad, except for dealing with all of the plaster, but figuring out where to re-rout plumbing, electrical, and heating duct was a real pain. 

Robert standing in the kitchen wall. 

View of the dining room from the living room.

Living room. 
We gutted the bathroom. 

This is a view from the bedroom where there used to be a very narrow closet. We tore down a wall in the bathroom to make it bigger and closed off this doorway to the old closet (where the tub now sits).

We tore the wall down to move the tub over and have a second window in the bathroom.
Moving the tub meant moving the tub drain.
This is the floor minus 5 layers of linoleum and plywood. Hundreds of tiny staples were removed and I only broke 2 staple pullers and got just a few blisters. We had to put in some replacement boards. 

Robert wanted to jump through the floor to get to the kitchen. 

My First Blog EVER

This is it!